Wednesday 27 November 2013

Shadows Are Not Real

“For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.”
(2 Timothy 1:7 NKJV)

One day while reading my Bible, I soon became distracted and began to daydream about being like David.  I thought maybe I could write something deep and meaningful that would touch God’s heart.  Or maybe I could be a person of great faith like Smith Wigglesworth and preach the truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ with power and authority.  I tried not to think too much of being like Paul or any martyred saint, as that was way above me, I rationalized that I was not brave enough.  Besides persecution is painful, and my pain threshold is too low to endure, so God would understand that I had to pass on the “martyr” anointing.

As I leaned back in my comfortable reading chair, I slowly began to drift off to sleep with thoughts of me leading great crowds of people to the Lord in a Billy Graham kind of setting.  Suddenly, the Lord began to speak to me.  My eyes popped open and I sat up on the edge of the chair, all attention focused on what the Lord would say to me.  He said that He needed me to understand His scripture and not just recite it but grasp its deeper meaning.  I quickly answered, “I am ready Lord, show me” grabbing my pen and notebook.  I had decided that I needed to write these things down, as I was now a minister and I wanted to share these revelations with others.

“Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil;
For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.” (Psalm 23:4 NKJV)

As the Lord spoke my pen literally flew over the pages, trying to catch every word.  He explained to me that so often we declare through our prayers in Psalm 23 “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.”  The question is He asked “Do you understand what the valley of the shadow of death is?”  I answered “I don’t really know Lord; in fact I really never spent much time meditating on it.” 

As faithful as ever the Lord explained “when you go through fearful and dark times in your life it is the valley of the shadow of death that my son David wrote about.  It is a place that feels like death, so terrible the experience. The Devil  uses what he is good at, and that is illusion.  A shadow is just a replica or false impression of the real thing.  It has the appearance of what it replicates, but it has no substance or power, because it isn't real.  The devil has found that by keeping you fearful, he can keep you for extended periods in the valley and from your purpose, as you are not exercising your faith and authority in Me”

Wow I thought I had never looked at it like that.  How many times had I been scared because the enemy was able to trick me with shadows of the real “death”, when in fact I should have stood unafraid?  I needed to meditate on this; it could change my life of fear to one of authority and power, if I just allowed that word to seep into my very heart and soul.

Before I could sit back and reflect on these words the Lord continued His explanation.  He said “This valley is merely a pathway that all must travel.  But my children have set up camp and refuse to leave because their focus is on the shadows around them, which makes them remain paralyzed in fear.  If they would only remember the second part of what David wrote.”  Before I could inquire what those words were, He continued, “I will fear no evil; for I am with you”.  Ever so lovingly He said, “You forget that I am with you always, and I will never allow you to endure anything by yourself.  My promise to you and to all generations is to never leave you or forsake you.  Therefore if you would focus on me while in the valley, you would begin to see the light of My Glory.  That light will dispel all darkness, and when darkness flees, so will the shadows.  Shadows cannot exist in my glorious light.  I will walk with you, and comfort you if you look to Me.”     


A feeling of warmth and tenderness flooded my soul, at the realization that my God had made a provision for every situation in my life.   There would never be a moment when I would be alone.  My needs are provided for, my fears are dispelled, comfort for my loneliness, peace when I am distraught.  A fresh new light dawned in my eyes; I am safe, no matter what the situation may appear to be.  The song ‘It is Well with My Soul’ erupted from my heart and I burst in to song, knowing that it truly was well with my soul... I pray you will allow it to be "well with your soul" as well.


* * *

No comments:

Post a Comment